Cancer Channel
Related Channels

Uterine Cancer Surgery

For women with uterine cancer, surgery is the most commonly used treatment. Examples of types of uterine cancer surgery include total hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, and radical hysterectomy. Even if the doctor removes all the cancer that can be seen at the time of the surgery, some patients may be given radiation therapy or hormone treatment after surgery to kill any cancer cells that are left.

Uterine Cancer Surgery: An Introduction

In cases of uterine cancer, surgery (removing the cancer in an operation) is the most common treatment for the disease.
Most cases of uterine cancer occur in the lining (endometrium) of the uterus. This article uses the term "uterine cancer" to refer to this type of cancer, also known as endometrial cancer. This article does not discuss a rare type of uterine cancer that can occur in the muscles or other tissues that support the uterus. Click Uterine Sarcoma for more information on this topic.
The following surgical procedures may be used in cases of uterine cancer:
  • Total hysterectomy
  • Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy
  • Radical hysterectomy.
Total Hysterectomy
Total hysterectomy is a surgical procedure that is used to remove the uterus, including the cervix. If the uterus and cervix are taken out through the vagina, the operation is called a vaginal hysterectomy. If the uterus and cervix are taken out through a large incision in the abdomen, the operation is called a total abdominal hysterectomy. If the uterus and cervix are taken out through a small incision in the abdomen using a laparoscope, the operation is called a total laparoscopic hysterectomy.
5 Ways to Improve Your Mood

Uterine Cancer Treatments

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.