Alternative Testicular Cancer Treatment
Mind-body medicines are based on the belief that your mind is able to affect your body. Some examples include:
- Meditation: Focused breathing or repetition of words or phrases to quiet the mind
- Hypnosis: A state of relaxed and focused attention in which the patient concentrates on a certain feeling, idea, or suggestion to aid in healing
- Yoga: Systems of stretches and poses, with special attention given to breathing
- Imagery: Imagining scenes, pictures, or experiences to help the body heal
- Creative outlets: Taking part in activities such as art, music, or dance.
- Biofeedback: Using simple machines, the patient learns how to affect certain body functions that are normally out of one's awareness (such as heart rate).
Manipulative and Body-Based Practices
Manipulative and body-based practices are based on working with one or more parts of the body. Some examples include:
- Chiropractic care: A type of manipulation of the joints and skeletal system
- Massage: Manipulation of tissues with hands or special tools
- Reflexology: Using pressure points in the hands or feet to affect other parts of the body.
Energy medicine is based on the belief that the body has energy fields that can be used for healing and wellness. Therapists use pressure or move the body by placing their hands in or through these fields. Some examples are:
- Reiki: Balancing energy either from a distance or by placing hands on or near the patient
- Tai Chi: Involves slow, gentle movements with a focus on breathing and concentration
- Therapeutic touch: Moving hands over energy fields of the body.
Whole Medical Systems
These are healing systems and beliefs that have evolved over time in different cultures and parts of the world. Some examples include:
- Chinese medicine: Based on the view that health is a balance in the body of two forces called yin and yang. Acupuncture is a common practice in Chinese medicine that involves stimulating specific points on the body to promote health, or to lessen disease symptoms and treatment side effects.
- Ayurvedic medicine: A system from India emphasizing balance among body, mind, and spirit.
- Homeopathy: Uses very small doses of substances to trigger the body to heal itself
- Naturopathic medicine: Uses different methods that help the body naturally heal itself.