SUTENT Warnings and Precautions
People who are taking SUTENT may have an increased risk for developing heart problems, bleeding, stroke, or certain other complications. This cancer treatment can also interfere with many other medications. Other safety warnings and precautions with SUTENT apply to people who have certain medical conditions, such as liver disease, high blood pressure, or any allergies.
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A slow or fast heartbeat
- An irregular heartbeat or a heart condition known as QT prolongation
- Heart disease, such as congestive heart failure
- A history of heart attack or chest pain (angina)
- A history of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA or mini-stroke)
- Heart bypass surgery
- A blood clot in the lungs (pulmonary embolism or PE)
- Been told you have an electrolyte imbalance (high or low blood salts, such as magnesium or potassium)
- Ever had a bleeding problem, such as bleeding in the stomach, intestines, or brain
- Thyroid problems, such as an underactive or overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism)
- Plans to have surgery
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.