Based on cases where people have taken too much SUTENT (sunitinib), overdose symptoms may include fatigue, abnormal bleeding, and vomiting, among others. However, the specific effects will depend on how much of the medicine was taken and whether it was taken in combination with other substances. Treatment may include pumping the stomach, administering medications, and treating any symptoms that occur.
SUTENT® (sunitinib) is a prescription chemotherapy medication. As with any medicine, it is possible to take too much SUTENT. The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the SUTENT dosage and whether it was taken with any other medicines or substances.
There have been a few case reports of an overdose with SUTENT, including a report of an overdose of 1500 mg (30 times the usual recommended dose). Based on these reports, overdose symptoms are expected to be similar to the known side effects of the medication. Such side effects may include but are not limited to:
- Fatigue, tiredness, and loss of energy or strength
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain
- Mouth sores
- Lack of appetite
- Changes in taste
- Unusual or abnormal bleeding
- High blood pressure (hypertension).
The treatment for a SUTENT overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may administer certain medicines to induce vomiting, or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive care for an overdose of SUTENT may include medications to reduce nausea or high blood pressure medication if hypertension occurs.
It is important that you seek medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much of this medicine.