Alternative Stomach Cancer Treatment
Some people with stomach cancer try alternative treatments to ease stress, or to reduce symptoms of the disease or side effects of its treatment. Alternative treatment options include such things as acupuncture, massage therapy, herbal products, vitamins, and meditation. In most cases, people combine alternative treatments with more standard cancer treatments. People considering starting any alternative treatment should discuss it first with their doctor.
An Overview of Alternative Stomach Cancer Treatment
Some people use alternative stomach cancer treatment to ease stress or to reduce symptoms of the cancer or side effects of its treatment. Most patients who use alternative treatments combine them with more standard treatments for stomach cancer.
Examples of alternative treatment options include:
- Massage therapy
- Herbal products
- Vitamins or special diets
- Spiritual healing.
Many people believe with stomach cancer believe that alternative treatments help them feel better. However, some types of alternative treatment may interfere with standard treatment for stomach cancer. In fact, combining alternative treatments with standard stomach cancer treatment may even be harmful. It is important to note that alternative treatments may be expensive, and health insurance may not cover the cost.
Recommendations for Alternative Treatment
Patients should discuss alternative stomach cancer treatment with their doctor before starting any such treatment. Questions that you should ask your doctor include the following:
- What benefits can I expect from this approach?
- What are the risks of this treatment?
- Do the expected benefits outweigh the risks?
- What side effects should I watch for?
- Will this alternative treatment change the way my standard stomach cancer treatment works?
- Could this treatment be harmful?
- Is this approach under study in a clinical trial? If so, who sponsors the trial?
- Will my health insurance pay for this approach?