Your Nolvadex dosage will depend on whether the medication is being used to treat or prevent breast cancer, how severe the breast cancer is, and whether other medications are being taken. A starting dose of 20 mg is common when preventing breast cancer. The Nolvadex dosage can range from 20 to 40 mg a day when used to treat breast cancer.
Nolvadex Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Nolvadex® (tamoxifen citrate) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your breast cancer (see Breast Cancer Stages)
- Whether you are using Nolvadex to treat or prevent breast cancer
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Nolvadex dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Nolvadex Dosage for Breast Cancer TreatmentThe recommended dose of Nolvadex for treating breast cancer is Nolvadex 20 to 40 mg daily. Doses larger than 20 mg per day should be split up into two smaller doses.
Nolvadex Dosage for Breast Cancer Prevention or Ductal CarcinomaThe recommended dose of Nolvadex for preventing breast cancer or for treating ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) is Nolvadex 20 mg, taken once daily for five years.
General Nolvadex Dosage InformationConsiderations for people taking Nolvadex include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- Nolvadex can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- The medication should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Nolvadex will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Nolvadex or your Nolvadex dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.