Neupogen Dosing for Stem Cell Collection
When used to aid in the collection of stem cells from the blood, Neupogen is started at least four days before the start of the collection process. The recommended dose is 10 mcg per kg daily (about 4.5 mcg per pound each day) given as an injection under the skin. It is continued until the last day of the collection process.
Neupogen Dosing for Severe Chronic Neutropenia
The recommended Neupogen dose for congenital neutropenia is 6 mcg per kg twice daily (about 2.7 mcg per pound twice daily) injected under the skin. For idiopathic or cyclic neutropenia, the recommended starting dose of Neupogen is 5 mcg per kg once daily (about 2.3 mcg per pound once daily) injected under the skin. Your healthcare provider may adjust the dosage based on how you respond to Neupogen.
General Neupogen Dosage Information
Considerations for people taking Neupogen include the following:
- Neupogen comes as an injection that can be given just under the skin or by IV.
- Neupogen should not be taken within 24 hours before or after chemotherapy or bone marrow transplantation.
- If you feel comfortable doing so, you (or a caregiver) may administer the Neupogen injections just under the skin. If you would prefer, your healthcare provider can give the injection.
- In some situations, it may be an option to give Neupogen as a continuous infusion just under the skin. This is like an around-the-clock IV, except it goes just under the skin, not into a vein.
- Never shake Neupogen, as it is a delicate molecule that could be damaged by shaking.
- You will need regular blood tests while taking Neupogen to see if the drug is working.
- If you choose to give the injections yourself, make sure you know exactly how to inject Neupogen.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Neupogen or your Neupogen dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.