Cancer Channel
Topics
Medications
Quicklinks
Related Channels

Mutamycin Overdose

Although there have not been any reported cases of an overdose on Mutamycin (mitomycin), receiving too much of this drug may cause problems like vomiting, breathing problems, and kidney problems. Seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have been given too much. Supportive care will be provided to treat any symptoms that occur.

 

Can You Use Too Much Mutamycin?

Mutamycin® (mitomycin) is a prescription medication used in combination with other drugs to treat certain types of cancer, including cancer of the stomach and pancreas. It is usually given as an intravenous (IV) injection.
 
Because Mutamycin is normally given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, an overdose is unlikely to occur. However, as with most medicines, it is probably possible to receive too much Mutamycin, such as if the dose of the medicine is miscalculated. The effects of an overdose would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Mutamycin dosage and whether it was used with other medicines or substances.
 

What Are the Effects of an Overdose With Mutamycin?

At this time, there are no reported cases of a Mutamycin overdose. Therefore, it is not entirely clear what to expect if this happens. Based on the known side effects of the medication, possible effects of an overdose may include but are not limited to:
 
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Rash
  • Sores in the mouth or throat
  • Low blood cell counts, which could increase the risk for bleeding, infections, and anemia
  • Lung toxicity, which may cause shortness of breath, wheezing, and other breathing problems
  • Kidney problems
  • Any of the usual Mutamycin side effects.
 

Treatment for an Overdose

If an overdose is discovered while the medication is being given, the dose will be stopped. There is no antidote for an overdose.
 
Treatment will mostly include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment for a Mutamycin overdose may include:
 
  • Medications to treat nausea and vomiting if they occur
  • Intravenous (IV) fluids
  • A granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) medication, such as filgrastim (Neupogen®), to stimulate the bone marrow to make more white blood cells and to reduce the risk for infections.
 
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medication.
 
The Zen of Cancer Caregiving - Recharge Your Batteries!

Mutamycin Drug Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.