When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Marinol include the following:
- Marinol comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth.
- When used for appetite stimulation, this medication is usually taken twice a day: before lunch and before dinner.
- When used to reduce chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, Marinol is usually given one to three hours before chemotherapy and then every two to four hours after chemotherapy, for a total of four to six doses in one day.
- Early-morning use of the drug has been associated with more side effects. Therefore, it is often taken later in the day.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the capsules; make sure to swallow them whole.
- For Marinol to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Marinol your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The reason you are taking the drug
- Your height and weight
- How you respond to Marinol
- Any side effects you experience.
Your healthcare provider will adjust your dose to give you the maximum benefit with the least amount of side effects. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Marinol Dosage for more information.)