Drowsiness, euphoria, and mood and speech changes are among the complications that can occur as a result of an overdose with Marinol. The exact effects will vary from person to person. Because taking too much Marinol can be fatal in extreme cases, it is important that immediate medical care be obtained if you suspect a potential overdose.
Can You Take Too Much Marinol?Marinol® (dronabinol) is a prescription medication used to stimulate appetite in people with AIDS and to treat chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting. It is possible to overdose on this drug. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Marinol dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
- Increased sensory awareness
- Reddened eyes
- Dry mouth
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia).
Reported effects of a moderate overdose with Marinol have included:
- Memory loss
- Changes in mood
- Difficulty passing urine
- Slowing of the digestive system.
Reported effects of a severe overdose have included:
- Extreme drowsiness
- Speech changes
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Feelings of panic
Consuming very high doses of Marinol can cause death.
If the Marinol overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, behavioral symptoms such as agitation, panic, and hallucinations may be treated with diazepam (Valium®) or other similar medications.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken a Marinol overdose.