Cancer Home > Zuplenz Overdose
Some of the possible effects of an overdose with Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film) include severe constipation, temporary blindness, and fainting. However, the specific effects will vary, based on how much was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. Treatment will likely include pumping the stomach, administering certain medications, or providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Zuplenz?Zuplenz™ (Ondansetron Oral Soluble Film) is a prescription medication licensed to prevent nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Zuplenz.
The effects of a Zuplenz overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including the Zuplenz dosage and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Zuplenz, seek immediate medical attention.
- Sudden blindness for a few minutes
- Severe constipation
- Low blood pressure (hypotension), which could cause lightheadedness, dizziness, and/or fainting
- Changes in heart rhythm.
In past cases of a Zuplenz overdose, the symptoms went away without causing severe problems.
Treatment OptionsThe treatment for a Zuplenz overdose will vary. If it was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach."
Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for this type of overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur
- Close monitoring of vital signs, especially the heart rate and rhythm.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Zuplenz.