Cancer Home > Zuplenz Dosage
Zuplenz Dosage for RadiationThe dose of Zuplenz depends on the type of radiation:
- Total body irradiation: The dosage for total body irradiation is 8 mg taken one to two hours before radiotherapy each day of radiation treatment.
- Single high-dose fraction radiotherapy to the abdomen: The dosage of Zuplenz for this type of radiation is 8 mg taken one to two hours before radiotherapy, followed by 8 mg every eight hours (three times a day) until one to two days after radiation.
- Daily fractionated radiotherapy to the abdomen: The Zuplenz dose for this type of radiation is 8 mg taken each day one to two hours before radiotherapy, followed by two more doses each day (taken every eight hours) during radiation.
Zuplenz Dosage for ChildrenZuplenz has only been studied in children for medium-risk chemotherapy-associated nausea and vomiting.
- For children 12 years and older, the dosage is the same as the adult one.
- For children age 4 through 11, the dose is Zuplenz 4 mg three times daily. The first dose should be given 30 minutes before the start of chemotherapy. The second dose should be given four hours after the first one, and the third one should be given eight hours after the first. For one to two days after chemotherapy, Zuplenz 4 mg should be taken three times a day (about every eight hours).
General Information on Taking ZuplenzSome considerations for people taking Zuplenz include the following:
- The medication comes as a small film that dissolves in the mouth.
- Zuplenz should be taken 30 minutes before the start of chemotherapy. Your healthcare provider may recommend that you take additional doses after the first one.
- The medication should be taken one to two hours before radiation. The dose after radiation depends on the type of radiation.
- Zuplenz should be taken one hour before surgery begins.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- Place the film on your tongue, where it will dissolve within 4 to 20 seconds. After it has dissolved, swallow (with or without liquid). Wash your hands after taking the dose.
- If you take two or three films for a single dosage, make sure to let the first one completely dissolve before taking another one.
- The recommended dosage of Zuplenz is lower for people who have poor liver function (hepatic function). People with severely impaired liver function should not take more than 8 mg of Zuplenz total each day.
- For Zuplenz to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Zuplenz will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Zuplenz dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking this medication without discussing it first with your healthcare provider.