Cancer Home > Zortress Overdose

It is not known what to expect if someone takes too much Zortress (everolimus). In one case involving a child overdosing on this drug, no serious problems were reported. The specific effects will depend on how much was taken and whether it was combined with other drugs. Treating this type of overdose may involve pumping the stomach, administering activated charcoal, or providing supportive care.

Can You Take Too Much Zortress?

Zortress® (everolimus) is a prescription medication approved to prevent transplant rejection in certain people after a kidney or liver transplant. It is used in combination with other medications.
At this time, it is unclear exactly what to expect from a Zortress overdose. However, as with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much of this drug. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Zortress dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.

Effects of an Overdose

There is little information available about an overdose with Zortress. In a single case report, a child took an overdose of everolimus (the active ingredient in Zortress) and did not experience any problems. In this case, the child ingested 1.5 mg of everolimus, which is equal to the usual adult starting dose of Zortress.
Doses as high as 70 mg of everolimus have been given to adults without any serious problems. The medication also did not cause serious effects when given in high amounts to animals.

Treatment Options for a Zortress Overdose

The treatment for a Zortress overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of drug absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to help remove Zortress from the body.
Treatment for any type of overdose also usually involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive treatment for a Zortress overdose may include:
  • Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
  • Close monitoring of the heart, kidneys, and liver
  • Monitoring of vital signs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.