Cancer Home > Vemurafenib Dosage
For those taking vemurafenib, dosing typically starts at 960 mg twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses. However, if you develop side effects while using this drug, you may need to temporarily stop taking it until side effects resolve, and restart the medicine at a lower dosage. The lowest recommended amount is 480 mg twice daily.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of VemurafenibThe dose of vemurafenib (Zelboraf™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on how well you tolerate the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Vemurafenib Dosing GuidelinesThe standard dosage of vemurafenib for people with advanced melanoma is 960 mg twice a day. The first dosage should be taken in the morning and the second dose in the evening, about 12 hours later. Treatment usually continues until the medication does not appear to be working anymore or serious side effects occur.
People who experience potentially serious vemurafenib side effects may need to stop taking the medication. Once the side effect improves, the medicine may be restarted at a lower dosage. The lowest recommended dose is 480 mg twice a day.
Vemurafenib is only approved for use in people who have an abnormal "BRAF" gene. Your healthcare provider will test you for this abnormal gene before you start treatment.
General Information on Taking VemurafenibSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with vemurafenib include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day, with 12 hours between doses.
- You can take vemurafenib with or without food.
- Swallow the tablets whole, with a glass of water. Do not cut, crush, or chew the tablets.
- Try to take your doses at the same times each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- Do not take an additional dose if you vomit after taking your scheduled dose. Take your next dose at your regular time.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are experiencing bothersome side effects. He or she will tell you if you should stop taking the medicine or take a lower dosage.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or vemurafenib dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.