Cancer Home > Triptorelin Dosage
Because the drug is not meant to be administered at home, you will receive each dose of triptorelin at a clinic, your healthcare provider's office, or in another healthcare setting. The medication comes in three different strengths, so each dose will last between one and six months, depending on the formulation your healthcare provider prescribes.
The triptorelin pamoate (Trelstar®) dose your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the specific product you are using. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Triptorelin comes in three different formulations. The standard dosage for treating advanced prostate cancer depends on the formulation used, as follows:
- Triptorelin 3.75 mg, given as a single injection once a month (every 4 weeks)
- Triptorelin 11.25 mg, given as a single injection once every three months (every 12 weeks)
- Triptorelin 22.5 mg, given as a single injection once every six months (every 24 weeks).
These formulations are not interchangeable. This means, for example, that a double dose of the 11.25-mg injection cannot be used in place of the 22.5-mg injection, as it will not stay in the body for 24 weeks.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with triptorelin include the following:
- This medication is given as a single injection into the muscle (an intramuscular, or IM, injection). It is usually given every one, three, or six months, depending on the particular triptorelin product used.
- Each triptorelin dosage will be given by your healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office or clinic.
- The injection is given into the muscle of either buttock. The specific injection site will alternate with each dose.
- Triptorelin must be mixed with sterile water before administration. The injection should be given immediately after the drug is mixed.
- Triptorelin should not be used if the vial is damaged, contains particles, or is cloudy or discolored.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not stop using it because you feel better. Stopping treatment will cause your symptoms to return.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with triptorelin, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.