Cancer Home > Ponatinib Dosage
Ponatinib tablets are taken once daily to help treat certain types of leukemia. The recommended dosage is usually 45 mg. However, your healthcare provider may decrease this amount, depending on how you respond to the ponatinib and whether you develop side effects. Other factors that may affect your dose include other medications you are taking and other medical conditions you may have.
The dose of ponatinib (Iclusig®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Whether you experience side effects
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard recommended dosage of ponatinib for the treatment of leukemia is 45 mg once daily. If you develop serious side effects, your healthcare provider may reduce your amount to 30 mg once daily or even 15 mg in the case of severe side effects. If potentially dangerous side effects occur, you may need to stop taking ponatinib, either temporarily or permanently.
Some other medications react with ponatinib, increasing the level of ponatinib in the bloodstream. If you are taking any such medications, a lower dosage of 30 mg once daily may be recommended (see Drug Interactions With Ponatinib for a list of such medications).
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ponatinib include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- Ponatinib may be taken with or without food.
- Do not crush, cut, or chew ponatinib tablets. They must be swallowed whole.
- You should avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice during treatment. This is because grapefruit products may cause too much of the medicine to be absorbed from your digestive tract into your body.
- Try to take your dose at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking it just because you feel better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your ponatinib dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.