Cancer Home > What Is Pazopanib Used For?
A healthcare provider may prescribe pazopanib if you have been diagnosed with advanced renal cell carcinoma or soft tissue carcinoma. This medication works by blocking tyrosine kinase, an enzyme that tells cancer cells to grow and multiply. Pazopanib is not approved for use in children. However, it can sometimes be used off-label to treat pancreatic or thyroid cancer.
An Overview of Uses for Pazopanib
- Advanced renal cell carcinoma
- Advanced soft tissue sarcoma, after other treatments have been tried.
- Stage I: The tumor is small and has not spread beyond the kidneys.
- Stage II: The tumor is bigger than in stage I, but still has not spread beyond the kidneys.
- Stage III: Cancer has spread a little beyond the kidneys, or is found in one lymph node or the main blood vessels of the kidneys.
- Stage IV: Cancer cells have moved beyond the kidneys, are in at least two lymph nodes, or have spread to other areas of the body. Stage IV kidney cancer is sometimes called advanced kidney cancer.