Cancer Home > Pazopanib Dosage
Several factors may affect your dosage of pazopanib, such as how well your liver functions and other medications you are taking. When treating advanced kidney cancer, the standard dose is 800 mg once daily. People who have liver impairment may need lower amounts. Pazopanib comes as a tablet and is taken once a day on an empty stomach.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of PazopanibThe dose of pazopanib (Votrient®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your liver function
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Pazopanib Dosing GuidelinesThe standard dose of pazopanib for the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) and soft tissue sarcoma is 800 mg once a day. This is the maximum recommended dose. The usual amount in people with moderate liver disease is 200 mg a day.
People who are taking certain other medications may need a lower pazopanib dosage (see Drug Interactions With Pazopanib). Also, people who experience bothersome side effects may need a lower amount. If a decrease is necessary in people with kidney cancer, it is recommended that the dosage first be reduced to 400 mg a day. It can then be adjusted up or down by no more than 200 mg at a time. The dosage in people with soft tissue cancer can be adjusted up or down by 200 mg at a time.
General Information on Taking PazopanibSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with pazopanib include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You should take pazopanib on an empty stomach, one hour before or two hours after a meal.
- Pazopanib should be swallowed whole. Do not crush, chew, or cut the tablets.
- Avoid drinking grapefruit juice while taking this medication.
- Try to take your dose about the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream. It will also help you remember to take it.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with pazopanib, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.