Cancer Home > Ontak Overdose
Although a healthcare provider will administer Ontak (denileukin), an overdose could occur if the dosage is miscalculated. Possible side effects of receiving too much of this drug may include vomiting, weakness, and fever. However, the specific effects will depend on how much was given and other factors. Treatment options will likely involve supportive care to relieve any symptoms that occur.
Can You Receive Too Much Ontak?Ontak® (denileukin diftitox) is an injectable prescription medication used to treat certain types of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, a condition that occurs when T-cells (a type of white blood cell) in the skin become cancerous. As with most medicines, it is probably possible to receive too much Ontak.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Ontak dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseBecause this medicine is given as an injection by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, an overdose would generally be unlikely. However, the drug is dosed based on body weight, and too much medicine may be given if the dose is miscalculated.
Based on symptoms that have occurred when twice the recommended dose was given, possible effects of an Ontak overdose may include:
- Weakness and lack of energy.
Treatment Options for an Ontak OverdoseTreatment for an overdose with Ontak will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care may include fluids given as an injection into a vein (an intravenous, or IV, injection) if severe vomiting causes dehydration.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have received too much Ontak.