Cancer Home > Onsolis Side Effects
Potentially serious side effects of Onsolis include hallucinations, severe constipation, and difficulty breathing. In most cases, however, people tolerate the medication quite well and any problems that occur are typically easy to treat. Common side effects include weakness, nausea, and vomiting. Other, less common reactions include heartburn, hot flashes, and blurred vision.
An Introduction to Onsolis Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Onsolis™ (fentanyl buccal soluble film) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Onsolis. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With OnsolisOnsolis has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people using the drug were carefully documented. In all the studies, long-acting opioid narcotics were used in addition to Onsolis. Therefore, it can be difficult to know whether the side effects observed were due to Onsolis or the other opioid medication.
In clinical studies, the most common adverse reactions included:
- Nausea -- in up to 26 percent of people
- Vomiting -- up to 21 percent
- Weakness -- up to 13 percent
- Dehydration -- up to 13 percent
- Tiredness (fatigue) -- up to 12 percent
- Shortness of breath -- up to 12 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 11 percent
- Constipation -- up to 11 percent
- Headaches -- up to 9 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 9 percent
- Decreased appetite -- up to 8 percent
- Confusion -- up to 8 percent
- Weight loss -- up to 7 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 7 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 7 percent
- Cough -- up to 7 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 6 percent
- Abdominal (stomach) pain -- up to 5 percent
- Low blood pressure (hypotension) -- up to 5 percent.
Other side effects that occurred in at least 1 percent of people using Onsolis in clinical trials included:
- Increased heart rate
- Blurred or double vision
- General feelings of discomfort
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Increase in blood pressure (hypertension)
- Memory problems
- Difficulty urinating
- Hot flashes
- Blood clot in the leg.