Cancer Home > Onsolis
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind when using Onsolis include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a small film, which is dissolved on the inside of the cheek in the mouth. The initial dosage is Onsolis 200 mcg every two hours as needed for breakthrough pain. From there, doses are highly individualized.
- A maximum of four doses may be used each day. Tell your healthcare provider if you have more than four breakthrough pain episodes within a 24-hour period.
- Do not cut or tear the film before using it. Place it in your mouth intact.
- Do not chew or swallow Onsolis. It must be placed inside the cheek and kept there until it dissolves. Less of the medication may be absorbed into the body if the film is chewed or swallowed, resulting in inadequate pain relief.
- You should not eat anything while the Onsolis film is in your mouth. Wait until the film completely dissolves, which normally takes 15 to 30 minutes. You may drink liquids five minutes after putting the film on your cheek.
- Onsolis comes in a foil package. Do not open the package until you are ready to use the medication.
- To use Onsolis correctly, follow these steps:
- Open the foil package with scissors and remove the film
- Wet the inside of your cheek with your tongue or by rinsing with water
- Carefully place the film inside your mouth, with the pink side against your moistened cheek
- Hold the film against the cheek with your finger for five seconds
- Remove your finger -- the film should now stick to your cheek on its own
- Do not touch or move the film until it dissolves (normally after 15 to 30 minutes)
- If you are using more than one film at a time, do not place the films on top of each other (you may place them on opposite sides of the mouth).
- Continue to take your regularly scheduled, around-the-clock, opioid pain medication. Onsolis alone will not control your pain.
- This medication may be dangerous, and could even cause death, if ingested by a child or someone for whom it was not prescribed. Keep Onsolis in a safe place to prevent theft and possible accidental ingestion by children (see Onsolis Storage and Disposal for more information).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or suddenly stop using Onsolis without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.