Cancer Home > Omacetaxine Dosage
The amount of omacetaxine your healthcare provider prescribes will be based on how much you weigh, how tall you are, how you respond to the medication, and other factors. This drug is given as an injection just under the skin. Omacetaxine dosing regimens call for the medicine to be given twice a day for 7 to 14 days, every 28 days.
The dose of omacetaxine mepesuccinate (Synribo™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your height and weight
- How you respond to the medication
- How well you tolerate it, such as if you experience certain side effects.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Like many chemotherapy medicines, omacetaxine doses are based on body surface area, which is calculated using your height and weight. Doses based on body surface area are written as milligrams per meter squared (mg per m2).
The usual recommended initial dosage (called the induction dosage) of omacetaxine for the treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia is 1.25 mg per m2 twice a day for 14 days in a row. This is called one treatment cycle.
Treatment cycles will normally be repeated every 28 days until blood cell counts have returned to normal, which is known as a hematologic response. Once a hematologic response is achieved, maintenance dosing may begin.
The usual recommended maintenance dose of omacetaxine is 1.25 mg per m2 twice a day for seven days in a row. This seven-day treatment cycle will be repeated every 28 days as long as you are benefiting from the drug.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with omacetaxine include the following:
- This medicine comes as a powder that is dissolved in liquid and given as an injection just under the skin (a subcutaneous injection). The injections are normally given twice a day for 7 to 14 days in a row, followed by a break in treatment.
- Omacetaxine doses are usually given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare facility, such as a hospital or infusion center.
- Avoid getting this drug on your skin, as it can cause irritation. If contact occurs, wash the area thoroughly with soap and water.
- Omacetaxine vials should be inspected before use, and should not be used if the medicine contains particles or is discolored.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Omacetaxine works best if taken on schedule. However, you may need to miss a dose if you experience severe or potentially dangerous side effects.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your omacetaxine dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.