Cancer Home > Nucynta ER
Abuse PotentialNucynta ER has a significant potential for both psychological and physical dependence and abuse. In fact, it is classified as a controlled substance, meaning that there are special rules and regulations for prescribing and obtaining the medication.
When and How to Take Nucynta ERSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nucynta ER include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth every 12 hours.
- Nucynta ER can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- Do not crush, chew, split, or dissolve the tablets, as this will cause a dangerous amount of medication to be released too quickly.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Nucynta ER.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose without your healthcare provider's approval. Do not suddenly stop taking Nucynta ER, especially if you have taken it regularly for more than several weeks.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Nucynta ER your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type and severity of your pain
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other pain medications you have tried
- Other medical conditions you may have.