Cancer Home > Morphine Sulfate/Naltrexone Hydrochloride Dosage
Before prescribing a dosage of morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride, your healthcare provider will consider how you respond to the drug and other medical conditions you have, among other things. This prescription medication comes in the form of a capsule and is taken once or twice a day at scheduled times. Never crush, chew, or dissolve the capsules, as this would release a dangerous amount of morphine.
Morphine Sulfate/Naltrexone Hydrochloride Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride (Embeda™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type and severity of your pain
- How you respond to morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride
- The type and dose of other painkillers you have taken
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride contains both morphine and naltrexone (a medication that counteracts morphine, but is only released if the drug is crushed or dissolved). The capsules are available in the following strengths:
- Morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride 20 mg/0.8 mg
- Morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride 30 mg/1.2 mg
- Morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride 50 mg/2 mg
- Morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride 60 mg/2.4 mg
- Morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride 80 mg/3.2 mg
- Morphine sulfate/naltrexone hydrochloride 100 mg/4 mg.
The first (and higher) number of the dosage refers to the morphine sulfate content. The second (and lower) number refers to the naltrexone hydrochloride content.