Cancer Home > Morphine Sulfate ER Warnings and Precautions
Before taking morphine sulfate ER, warnings and precautions for the drug should be fully reviewed with your healthcare provider. For example, it is important that your healthcare provider is aware of any other medical conditions you may have, as morphine sulfate ER is not suitable for everyone. Also, morphine sulfate ER can cause drug interactions, so it is important that your healthcare provider is aware of any other medicines you are taking (including vitamins and herbal supplements).
Morphine Sulfate ER: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking morphine sulfate ER® (Avinza®, Kadian®, MS Contin®, Oramorph® SR) if you have:
- Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, liver failure, or hepatitis
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Gallbladder or pancreas disease
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- A history of drug or alcohol dependence
- Lung disease of any sort
- A head injury or high intracranial pressure
- Severe abdominal (stomach) pain
- Addison's disease
- An enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy, or BPH)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant