Cancer Home > Marinol
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Marinol include the following:
- Marinol comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth.
- When used for appetite stimulation, this medication is usually taken twice a day: before lunch and before dinner.
- When used to reduce chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, Marinol is usually given one to three hours before chemotherapy and then every two to four hours after chemotherapy, for a total of four to six doses in one day.
- Early-morning use of the drug has been associated with more side effects. Therefore, it is often taken later in the day.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the capsules; make sure to swallow them whole.
- For Marinol to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Marinol your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The reason you are taking the drug
- Your height and weight
- How you respond to Marinol
- Any side effects you experience.