Cancer Home > Ipilimumab Dosage
Your healthcare provider will determine your ipilimumab dosage based on your body weight and how you respond to the medication. The standard recommended amount is usually 3 mg per kg of body weight, which is given through an IV infusion by your healthcare provider every three weeks for up to four doses. Treatment may need to be temporarily stopped if you develop serious side effects.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of IpilimumabThe dose of ipilimumab (Yervoy™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your weight
- How well you tolerate the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Ipilimumab Dosing GuidelinesThe standard dose of ipilimumab for treating advanced melanoma is 3 mg per kg (about 1.4 mg per pound) every three weeks for up to four doses. All four doses must be given within 16 weeks of the first ipilimumab dosage.
People who experience certain potentially serious ipilimumab side effects may need to stop receiving the medicine. Ipilimumab should not be restarted if the side effect was severe or life-threatening. Otherwise, the medicine may be restarted at the usual dose once the side effect improves, as long as it has not been 16 weeks since the initial ipilimumab dosage.
General Information on Receiving IpilimumabSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ipilimumab include the following:
- This medication is given as an intravenous (IV) infusion, which is a slow injection into the vein. It is usually given every three weeks for up to four doses.
- The injections are given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting.
- Each dose of ipilimumab will be given slowly over a 90-minute period.
- Ipilimumab solution must be diluted prior to use. It should not be used if the medication is discolored, cloudy, or contains unknown particles.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Ipilimumab will not work as well if you miss doses.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or ipilimumab dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.