Cancer Home > Imatinib
When and How to Take ImatinibSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with imatinib include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- Doses of 800 mg should be divided into twice-daily dosing (400 mg twice a day).
- You should take your imatinib dose with a meal and a large glass of water.
- Do not crush, chew, or cut imatinib tablets. Swallow them whole.
- If you are unable to swallow the tablets, you may dissolve them in a glass of water or apple juice, and then drink the liquid. Use about 50 mL of liquid for a 100-mg tablet and 200 mL for a 400-mg tablet. Stir with a spoon and drink the mixture right after the tablet dissolves.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- For imatinib to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking this medicine or take a different amount without first talking to your healthcare provider.
Dosing InformationThe dose of imatinib your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The reason you are taking the medication
- Your age
- Your height and weight (in children)
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.