Cancer Home > Ifosfamide Side Effects
Common Side EffectsIfosfamide has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people who received the drug were carefully documented. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In these studies, the most commonly reported ifosfamide side effects included:
- Hair loss -- in up to 89.6 percent of people (see Chemotherapy and Hair Loss)
- Nausea and vomiting -- up to 46.8 percent
- Blood in the urine -- up to 44.1 percent
- A decrease in white blood cell counts -- up to 43.5 percent (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- Anemia (low red blood cell counts) -- up to 37.9 percent (see Chemotherapy and Anemia)
- Side effects affecting the central nervous system, such as confusion, changes in mood, and changes in behavior -- up to 15.4 percent
- Infections -- up to 9.9 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 0.08 percent to 4.8 percent of people, included:
- A decrease in platelets (see Blood Clotting Problems and Chemotherapy)
- Liver problems
- Loss of appetite
- Diarrhea (see Chemotherapy-Induced Diarrhea)
- Tingling, burning, or numbing sensations in the hands or feet
- Heart problems, including a fast heart rate and heart failure
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Mouth sores or ulcers (see Mouth and Gum Problems During Chemotherapy)
- Red, irritated, or itchy skin.