Cancer Home > Gefitinib Dosage
The standard gefitinib dosage for treating non-small cell lung cancer is 250 mg taken once daily. However, if you are taking certain other medications, you may need a higher amount. Although this drug comes in the form of a tablet, it can be dissolved in a glass of water for those who have problems swallowing tablets.
The dose of gefitinib (Iressa®) your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard recommended dose of gefitinib for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer is 250 mg once a day. Higher doses have generally not been shown to be more effective, but can increase the risk for developing side effects. If you take certain other medicines, your healthcare provider may recommend you take gefitinib 500 mg a day (see Drug Interactions With Gefitinib).
People who experience certain potentially serious gefitinib side effects, such as severe diarrhea, lung problems, or eye irritation, may need to stop taking gefitinib until the side effects improve. Once the side effects improve, a healthcare provider may choose to restart gefitinib treatment.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with gefitinib include the following:
- Gefitinib comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food.
- Try to take your dose at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medicine in your bloodstream.
- People who have difficulty swallowing gefitinib can dissolve the tablets in half a glass of water and drink the water. Other liquids should not be used to dissolve the medication.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking gefitinib just because you feel better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.