Cancer Home > Estramustine
How Does Estramustine Work?Technically, estramustine belongs to a group of drugs known as alkylating agents. However, it works differently than other alkylating agents.
When and How to Take This MedicineSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with estramustine include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a capsule. It is normally taken by mouth three to four times a day.
- You should take estramustine with water, on an empty stomach, and one hour before or two hours after a meal.
- Do not consume milk, milk products, or calcium-rich foods with your estramustine dose. Doing so may decrease the amount of the drug absorbed into your body.
- Try to take your doses at about the same times each day to keep an even level of estramustine in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.