Cancer Home > Estramustine Dosage
Estramustine comes as capsules that are taken several times daily. The recommended estramustine dosage is usually 14 mg per kg of body weight, which is divided into three or four daily doses. Try to take the medicine at the same time each day to help keep an even level in your bloodstream. It is also important to take estramustine on an empty stomach.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of EstramustineThe dose of estramustine phosphate (Emcyt®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a few factors, such as:
- Your weight
- How you respond to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Estramustine Dosing GuidelinesThe usual recommended dose of estramustine for treating prostate cancer is about 14 mg per kg of body weight (about 6.4 mg per lb), divided into three or four doses each day. This is the same as one 140-mg capsule for every 10 kg (every 22 lbs) of body weight, given in three or four divided doses.
Your healthcare provider may give you a higher or lower estramustine dose, depending on how you respond to the medicine. Most people will be treated with amounts ranging from 10 mg to 16 mg per kg per day (about 4.5 to 7.3 mg per lb total per day).
It is normally recommended that treatment continue for at least 30 to 90 days before your healthcare provider determines if continued treatment would be beneficial. Normally, treatment continues as long as the cancer is responding to the medication. In some cases, treatment may continue for longer than three years.
General Information on Taking EstramustineSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with estramustine include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a capsule. It is normally taken by mouth three to four times a day.
- You should take estramustine with water, on an empty stomach, and one hour before or two hours after a meal.
- Take your estramustine dose at least one hour before or two hours after any milk, milk products, or calcium-rich foods. Taking estramustine with calcium may decrease the amount of the drug absorbed into your body.
- Try to take your doses at about the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of estramustine, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.