Cancer Home > Enzalutamide Side Effects
Common Side Effects
Enzalutamide has been studied extensively in a clinical trial. In this study, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were carefully documented and compared to those that occurred in a similar group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In the clinical study, the most common enzalutamide side effects included:
- Weakness and fatigue -- in up to 50.6 percent of men
- Back pain -- up to 26.4 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 21.8 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 20.5 percent
- Hot flushes -- up to 20.3 percent
- Swelling of the arms, hands, legs, ankles, or feet -- up to 15.4 percent
- Muscle or bone pain -- up to 15 percent
- Headache -- up to 12.1 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 10. 9 percent
- Muscle weakness -- up to 9.8 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 9.5 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 2.6 percent to 8.8 percent of men, included:
- Lung infections, such as pneumonia
- Pressure on the spinal cord, which could cause back pain or numbness and weakness of the lower body
- Abnormal sensations, such as numbness, burning, or pricking of the hands or feet
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Blood in the urine, which may appear as red or pink urine
- Problems with attention, thinking, or memory
- Frequent urination
- Dry skin
- Stiffness of the muscles and bones.
You may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking enzalutamide or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.