Cancer Home > Degarelix Dosage
Degarelix comes in the form of an injection that is given just under the skin of the abdomen (stomach) once every 28 days. The injection site will be different with each dose. When treating advanced prostate cancer with degarelix, the dosage is the same for everyone. To make sure the medication is working effectively, your healthcare provider will periodically test certain blood levels.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of DegarelixThere is only one standard dose of degarelix (Firmagon®), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Degarelix Dosing for Advanced Prostate CancerThe standard dosage of degarelix for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer is a one-time starting dose of 240 mg (given as two 120-mg injections), followed 28 days later by a maintenance dose of 80 mg (given as one injection). The 80-mg maintenance dosage will be given every month (every 28 days) until treatment ends.
Your healthcare provider will periodically measure the level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in your blood to help determine how well degarelix is working to treat your cancer. Information from this test will help your healthcare provider determine how long you should continue receiving degarelix treatment.
General Information on Using DegarelixSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with degarelix include the following:
- Degarelix is given as an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously) every four weeks (28 days).
- The injection is given under the skin of the abdomen (stomach). It is usually given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- The exact site of the injection on your abdomen will change with each dose of degarelix. The injection should not be given in an area that could be rubbed or pressed against, such as near the waistband, belt, or ribs.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Remember to schedule an appointment to receive your injection every four weeks.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or degarelix dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.