Cancer Home > Precautions and Warnings With Dasatinib
Before undergoing treatment with dasatinib, it is important to know that this medication may increase your risk for fluid retention, low blood cell counts, and heart damage. Also, this medication should not be taken by people who are taking certain medications or who have certain allergies. Other warnings and precautions with dasatinib extend to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Dasatinib?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking dasatinib (Sprycel®) if you have:
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- A heart condition known as QT prolongation or long QT syndrome
- Heart disease, such as congestive heart failure
- Problems with your immune system
- Been told you have low blood magnesium or potassium levels (hypomagnesemia or hypokalemia)
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs)
- A history of a bleeding problem, such as bleeding in the stomach, intestines, or brain
- A lactose intolerance (an inability to digest dairy products)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
You should also tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.