Cancer Home > Crizotinib Dosage
The standard recommended dose of crizotinib for treating non-small cell lung cancer is 250 mg taken twice daily. However, if you develop side effects or certain other problems, your healthcare provider may reduce this amount. You can take this medicine with or without food, but do not combine it with grapefruit juice. Also, make sure to swallow the capsules whole.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of CrizotinibThe dose of crizotinib (Xalkori®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on how you tolerate the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Crizotinib Dosing GuidelinesThe standard dose of crizotinib for the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer is 250 mg twice daily. Treatment usually continues until the medication no longer appears to be beneficial.
People who experience certain serious crizotinib side effects, such as low blood cell counts, liver problems, and heart rhythm problems, may need to stop taking this drug. Once the side effect improves, crizotinib may be restarted at the usual dose, or at a lower dose.
If a dose reduction is necessary, the amount is normally first reduced to crizotinib 200 mg twice daily. If further dose reductions are needed, the amount is then usually reduced to 250 mg once daily.
General Information on Taking CrizotinibSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with crizotinib include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a capsule. It is normally taken by mouth twice daily.
- You can take crizotinib with or without food.
- The capsules should be swallowed whole; do not open, crush, or dissolve them.
- You should avoid drinking grapefruit juice while taking this medicine, unless your healthcare provider tells you otherwise.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or crizotinib dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.