Cancer Home > Caprelsa Dosage
In most cases, the recommended dosage of Caprelsa is 300 mg a day. However, many factors affect how much is prescribed, such as how you react to the drug and whether you have any other medical conditions. The tablets are taken at the same time each day, with or without food. If you have trouble swallowing tablets, you can mix them in water.
The dose of Caprelsa® (vandetanib) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you tolerate the medicine
- Other medical conditions you have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual recommended Caprelsa dosage for the treatment of medullary thyroid cancer is 300 mg daily. The usual amount for people with moderate or severe kidney disease is 200 mg a day. The medication is normally taken until benefits are no longer seen or until potentially serious or intolerable side effects occur.
People who experience certain Caprelsa side effects may need to stop treatment until the problem resolves. The drug may then be restarted, usually at a lower dose.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Caprelsa include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Caprelsa doses with or without food.
- Swallow Caprelsa tablets whole. Do not crush, chew, or cut them.
- People who cannot swallow the tablets whole can mix them with 2 ounces (30 mL) of water and drink the mixture after stirring for about 10 minutes. The tablets will distribute throughout the water, but will not dissolve completely. After drinking the mixture, rinse the glass with another four ounces of water and drink again to ensure you get your complete dose.
- Try to take your dose at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream. Taking it at the same time may also help you remember to take it.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Caprelsa, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.