Cancer Home > Caphosol Warnings and Precautions
Although Caphosol can be helpful for people with a dry mouth or mouth sores, there are times when this mouth rinse may not be appropriate. For example, because it contains sodium, Caphosol may not be suitable for people who have a sodium-restricted diet. Other warnings for using Caphosol safely include precautions for people who have congestive heart failure.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Caphosol® (supersaturated calcium phosphate rinse) if you have:
- Been told you should limit your sodium intake
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
You should also tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Precautions and Warnings With CaphosolSome warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to using this medicated mouth rinse include the following:
- Caphosol contains sodium. Make sure to talk to your healthcare provider before using this product if you are on a sodium-restricted diet, or if you have a medical condition that could be worsened by consuming too much sodium (such as heart failure or high blood pressure).
- Do not use Caphosol if the seal on the ampule is broken or if the ampules are leaking, broken, or otherwise damaged.
- You should not eat, drink, or use other mouth rinses for at least 15 minutes after each dose. Doing so may reduce the effectiveness of Caphosol.
- Caphosol is unlikely to interact with any other medications (see Caphosol Drug Interactions).
- Caphosol is considered safe for use during pregnancy (see Caphosol and Pregnancy).
- Caphosol is unlikely to pass through breast milk. However, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to using the product (see Caphosol and Breastfeeding).