Cancer Home > Brain Cancer Treatment

Healthcare Providers Involved in Treatment

There are usually several healthcare providers involved in a person's treatment for brain cancer. The doctor may refer patients to doctors who specialize in treating brain cancer, or patients may ask for a referral. Specialists who treat brain cancer include:
  • Neurosurgeons
  • Neurooncologists
  • Medical oncologists
  • Radiation oncologists.
The patient may be referred to other healthcare professionals who work together as a team. The medical team may include a:
  • Nurse
  • Dietitian
  • Mental health counselor
  • Social worker
  • Physical therapist
  • Occupational therapist
  • Speech therapist.
Children with brain cancer may also need tutors to help with schoolwork.

Getting a Second Opinion

Sometimes, it is helpful to have a second opinion about the brain cancer diagnosis and treatment plan. While some insurance companies require a second opinion, others may cover a second opinion if the patient or doctor requests it.

Brain Cancer Treatment Options

The doctor is the best person to describe the choices regarding the treatment of brain cancer and to discuss the expected results. The doctor and patient should work together to develop a treatment plan that fits the patient's needs.
Depending on the type and extent of brain cancer, patients may have:
In addition, patients may have brain cancer treatment:
  • To control pain and other symptoms of the cancer
  • To relieve the side effects of therapy
  • To ease emotional problems.
This kind of treatment is called symptom management, supportive care, or palliative care.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Arthur Schoenstadt, MD
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.