Cancer Home > Brain Cancer Questions
By asking brain cancer questions about your diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, and more, you can take an active part in the decision-making process regarding your treatment and care. Because the shock after being diagnosed with brain cancer can make it hard to remember all of the brain cancer questions you want to ask the doctor, you might find it helpful to make a list prior to your next appointment.
Many people with brain cancer want to take an active part in making decisions about their medical care and their brain cancer treatment. However, the shock and stress after a brain cancer diagnosis can make it hard to think of everything to ask the doctor. Some people find that it helps to make a list of brain cancer questions before an appointment.
Questions to ask the doctor prior to a biopsy include:
- How will the biopsy be done?
- Will I have to go to the hospital?
- Will I have to do anything to prepare for it?
- How long will it take? Will I be awake? Will it hurt?
- Are there any risks? What are the chances of infection or bleeding after the procedure?
- How long will it take me to recover?
- How soon will I know the results? Who will explain them to me?
- If I do have a brain tumor, who will talk to me about next steps? When?
Questions to ask the doctor prior to brain cancer treatment include:
- What type of brain tumor do I have?
- Is it benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous)?
- What is the grade of the tumor?
- What are my treatment choices? Which do you recommend for me? Why?
- Will I have more than one kind of treatment?
- What are the expected benefits of each kind of treatment?
- What are the risks and possible side effects of the brain cancer treatment?
- What can we do to control my side effects?
- How else can I take care of myself during treatment?
- How will treatment affect my normal activities?
- Would a clinical trial (research study) be a good choice for me?
- Whom should I call if I have problems during treatment?
- What is the treatment likely to cost? Does my insurance cover this treatment?
- How often should I have checkups?
- Is there any alternative brain cancer treatment available?