Cancer Home > Bladder Cancer Questions
Although most patients want to learn all they can about bladder cancer and their treatment choices, the shock and stress after a diagnosis can make it hard to think of all of the bladder cancer questions to ask the doctor. Some patients find that it is helpful to make a list of bladder cancer questions prior to an appointment with their doctor.
Bladder Cancer Questions: An IntroductionMany people with bladder cancer want to take an active part in making decisions about their medical care. Although most patients want to learn all they can about bladder cancer and their bladder cancer treatment choices, the shock and stress after a bladder cancer diagnosis can make it hard to think of everything to ask the doctor. Some patients find that it is helpful to make a list of questions prior to an appointment.
Bladder Cancer Questions: Before a BiopsyA person who needs a biopsy may want to ask the doctor the following questions:
- What type of biopsy will I have? Why?
- How long will it take? Will I be awake? Will it hurt?
- How soon will I know the results?
- Are there any risks? What is the chance of infection or bleeding afterward?
- If I do have cancer, who will talk with me about treatment? When?
Bladder Cancer Questions: Before TreatmentQuestions to ask the doctor before bladder cancer treatment include:
- What kind of bladder cancer do I have?
- Has the cancer spread? What is the bladder cancer stage?
- Do I need any more tests to check for spread of the disease?
- What is the grade of the tumor?
- What are my bladder cancer treatment choices?
- Which treatment do you recommend for me? Why?
- What are the expected benefits of each kind of treatment?
- What are the risks and possible side effects of each treatment?
- What is the treatment likely to cost?
- How will treatment affect my normal activities?
- How often should I have checkups?
- Would a bladder cancer clinical trial (research study) be appropriate for me?