Cancer Home > BiCNU Side Effects
If you have never received treatment with BiCNU, it can be difficult to predict whether you will develop side effects. Also, because this is an older medication, the specific reactions to this chemotherapy drug have not been extensively studied. However, some of the possible problems that may occur include nausea, vomiting, and headaches. Serious complications, such as liver problems, infections, or anemia, are also possible.
An Introduction to BiCNU Side EffectsAs with any chemotherapy medicine, BiCNU® (carmustine) can cause side effects. In fact, most people will experience some type of reaction to this drug, and some side effects can be quite significant. Talk to your healthcare provider about ways to prevent or lessen reactions to this medicine.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with BiCNU. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With BiCNUFor many medications, the prescribing information carefully explains the exact percentage of side effects that were reported in clinical trials. However, the prescribing information for almost all older medications, including BiCNU, includes only vague information on potential side effects, with no exact information on how frequently the reactions may occur. Therefore, it can be difficult to know exactly how common the side effects of these medications may be.
Based on available information, some of the more common side effects of BiCNU may include:
- Nausea and vomiting (see Chemotherapy and Nausea)
- A decrease in white blood cells (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- A decrease in platelets (see Blood Clotting Problems and Chemotherapy)
- Anemia (see Chemotherapy and Anemia)
- Lung problems
- Chest pain
- Low blood pressure (hypotension), which could cause dizziness or fainting
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- Flushing (sudden redness and warmth in the face, neck, and chest area) or eye redness while receiving your infusion, especially if the infusion is given too quickly.