Cancer Home > Axitinib Dosage
Your medical history and other medications you are taking are among the considerations your healthcare provider will take into account when determining your dosage of axitinib. The initial amount is normally 5 mg taken twice a day, with 12 hours between each dose. Your healthcare provider may increase or decrease your dosage as needed, depending on how well you tolerate the drug.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of AxitinibThe dose of axitinib (Inlyta®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you tolerate the medication
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Axitinib Dosing GuidelinesThe standard initial recommended dose of axitinib for the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) is 5 mg twice a day. Your healthcare provider may increase your dosage to 7 mg twice daily if you tolerate the initial dose for at least two weeks, and then to 10 mg twice daily if you continue to tolerate the medicine well.
Some people who experience potentially serious axitinib side effects may need to have a lower dosage. If the amount is decreased from 5 mg twice daily, it is recommended that the dosage first be reduced to 3 mg twice daily, and then 2 mg twice daily if further reductions are needed.
Also, people taking certain other medications and people with moderate liver disease will be started on lower axitinib doses.
General Information on Taking AxitinibSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with axitinib include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet. It is taken by mouth twice a day, with 12 hours between doses.
- You can take axitinib with or without food.
- Try to take your doses at about the same time each day to keep an even level of the medication in your bloodstream.
- Axitinib should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, chew, or cut the tablets.
- You should avoid drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit while taking this medicine. Grapefruit may increase the level of axitinib in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or axitinib dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.