Cancer Home > Alkeran
Side Effects of AlkeranJust like any chemotherapy medicine, Alkeran can cause side effects, some of which can be significant and potentially serious. In fact, most people will experience some type of adverse reaction during treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about ways to prevent or lessen reactions to this drug.
- Low white blood cells, which could increase the risk for infections
- Low platelets, which could cause bleeding
- Low red blood cells, which could lead to anemia.
Drug InteractionsAlkeran may react with a few other medicines (see Alkeran Drug Interactions).
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderTalk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Low levels of white blood cells
- Low levels of platelets
- Had radiation treatment or previous chemotherapy
- Plans to receive a vaccination
- Lung disease
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Alkeran and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Alkeran and Breastfeeding).