Cancer Home > Adcetris Side Effects
Call your healthcare provider right away if you are undergoing cancer treatment with Adcetris and you develop any signs of an infection, anemia, or an allergic reaction. Although not everyone who receives this drug will experience problems, most people will experience some type of side effect during Adcetris treatment. Some of the most commonly reported side effects include nausea, diarrhea, and fatigue.
An Introduction to Adcetris Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Adcetris™ (brentuximab vedotin) can cause side effects. As with other chemotherapy medicines, the side effects can be significant. Although not everyone who receives the drug will experience problems, most people will have some sort of side effect during treatment. Speak with your healthcare provider about ways to prevent or lessen side effects from this medicine.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Adcetris. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With AdcetrisAdcetris has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people given Adcetris were carefully documented. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In clinical studies, the most common Adcetris side effects included:
- Low white blood cell counts -- in up to 55 percent of people
- Numbness, tingling, or pricking sensations in the hands or feet -- up to 53 percent
- Anemia -- up to 52 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 49 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infection, such as the common cold -- up to 47 percent
- Nausea -- up to 42 percent
- Fever -- up to 38 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 36 percent
- Rash -- up to 31 percent
- Low platelet counts (which could increase the risk of bleeding) -- up to 28 percent
- Pain -- up to 28 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 10 percent to 25 percent of people, included but were not limited to:
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Muscle pain
- Shortness of breath
- Joint pain
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Swelling of the arms, hands, legs, ankles, or feet
- Hair loss
- Back pain
- Night sweats
- Weight loss
- Mouth or throat pain
- Dry skin
- Arm or leg pain
- Muscle spasms
- Swollen lymph nodes.