Cancer Home > Actiq Warnings and Precautions
If your doctor prescribes Actiq, it's important to know that this medication can increase your risk for certain problems, such as a slow heart rate and irregular breathing. You may not be able to use this drug if you have asthma, low blood pressure, or certain other medical conditions. Reviewing these and other precautions and warnings can help ensure a safe treatment process with Actiq.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Actiq® (fentanyl lozenge) if you have:
- A history of drug or alcohol dependence or abuse
- Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, liver failure, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Ever had breathing problems, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or any other lung disease
- A head injury, brain tumor, or increased pressure around the brain
- Had a stroke
- Ever had a seizure
- A slow heart rate or abnormal heart rhythm
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant.