Liver Cancer Survival Rates
Liver Cancer Survival Rates Based on Stage
The stage of liver cancer plays a role in the liver cancer survival rate as well. Based on historical data:
- 31 percent of liver cancer cases are diagnosed while the cancer is still confined to the primary site (localized stage)
- 26 percent are diagnosed after the cancer has spread to regional lymph nodes or directly beyond the primary site
- 22 percent are diagnosed after the cancer has already metastasized (distant stage)
- In 22 percent of cases, the staging information was unknown.
The corresponding five-year relative liver cancer survival rates were:
- 19.0 percent for localized
- 6.6 percent for regional
- 3.4 percent for distant
- 3.3 percent for unstaged.
(Click Liver Cancer Statistics for more statistics on liver cancer.)