Email Video

Alternatives to LAVH For Endometriosis

Clip Number: 57 of 60
Presentation: Laparascopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy
The following reviewers and/or references were utilized in the creation of this video:
Reviewed By: Arthur Schoenstadt, MD
Video Link:
Embed Code:
There are many ways to try and help endometriosis. You and your doctor can pick what is best for you. The different things to try may depend, in part, on how old you are, how much pain you have, how much endometriosis you have, and if you want to have children. For lots of women, medicine by itself can help.
One medicine to try is birth control pills. The pills can help pain go away because they make your periods more normal. You might have some bleeding, gain weight, or feel depressed while taking the pills.
Another type of medicine makes your ovaries stop working. This is sort of like you are having menopause. This only makes the problems go away though, not the endometriosis. These medicines are called GnRH agonists.
Another type of surgery, besides hysterectomy, is a laparoscopy. This surgery uses a special camera to look inside your pelvis. This helps your doctor to find and take out the endometrial tissue. Your uterus will stay inside your body with this surgery. The special camera is used for many types of surgeries. This type of surgery may help you heal faster and stay in the hospital for a shorter time.
One important thing to remember is that many women have endometriosis that grows back. Even if they take medicine or have surgery, the tissue can grow again. However, with a hysterectomy and removal of the ovaries and fallopian tubes, endometriosis is usually cured.

Laparascopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy


Related Cancer Articles

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.