Precautions and Warnings With Imatinib
During treatment with imatinib, you may be at higher risk of developing heart problems, liver problems, stroke, or certain other complications. Drug interactions are also a concern. Other safety warnings and precautions with imatinib apply to people who have certain medical conditions, such as kidney disease, high blood pressure, or diabetes.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking imatinib mesylate (Gleevec®) if you have:
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- An irregular heartbeat
- Heart disease, such as congestive heart failure
- Lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Had a heart attack
- Ever had a bleeding problem, such as bleeding in the stomach, intestines, or brain
- Thyroid problems, such as an under- or overactive thyroid (hyper- or hypothyroidism)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.