Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- An irregular heartbeat
- Heart disease, such as congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- A history of heart attack
- A history of bleeding problems, such as bleeding in the stomach, intestines, or brain
- Thyroid problems, such as an under- or overactive thyroid (hypo- or hyperthyroidism, respectively)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Gleevec and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Gleevec and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Imatinib to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)